Saturday, July 7, 2012

Living Room Issues


Well, the living room isn't exactly screwed, but there are craploads of problems: For one, the subfloor (which has been stripped to its essence) is sloping and dipping due to lack of joist support. "Buzz" had someone go in the crawlspace and rig it with concrete block last year, but that's just a little too 'hood for my taste, so I'm calling in the big shots from DryZone for a permanent titanium support system. We'll see. I need more than a 1/4-inch subfloor unless I want to find myself and couch crashing into the spidery crawlspace. I happen to dig some of the nifty economic ideas for cheap flooring solutions like plywood planks cut, painted, and applied to look like hardwoods. If they last and look good, no brainer there. However, by the time I'd get the energy to d.i.y., I'd probably have spent twice as much money/time as just getting someone to install some ready-made click-in place floors. But who wants to pay $3K + for 800 sq. feet of flooring for a weekend shack? Uneven walls--Imperfection works well in a shabby cottage like this, but joint compound was applied with uneven abandon. It's so bad on one wall I don't know how I'll be able to add baseboards without sanding off a 3-inch slope. Unfinished ceiling, gaps, and holes--The critters are having a field day with all the holes and gaps. Help!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment